K-12 Public Schools
643 Genesee Avenue
Morrison, IL 61270
Phone: (815) 772-2064
2013 – 2014 Information Booklet
The Morrison Community School District, with a total enrollment of 1,160, operates two grade schools: one for grades K-2 and one for 3-5; a junior high school; and a high school. All provide an excellent learning environment with well-rounded curriculums and plenty of opportunities for extra-curricular activities and programs. Schools are newer in construction and design, providing a clean and excellent place for students to learn. Computers and Internet access are present in each classroom throughout the District. For those children with special needs, Morrison creates a positive learning environment tailored to specific needs, in partnership with Bi-County Special Education Cooperative.
All buildings have a modern gymnasium for physical education classes, which allows for healthy lifestyle and fitness units of study, as well as recreational activities, including bowling and swimming. MHS also has a state-of-the-art, all weather track. Both the swimming pool and track are open to the public. Our educational program includes an intensive fine-arts course study. Students have art instruction weekly and music education is provided throughout the district, including instrumental instruction beginning in the 5th grade. The high school’s air conditioned auditorium is used throughout the year for all grade-level performances, school and community concerts, and dance recitals.
MHS students may earn high school and college credit at the same time. The dual enrollment program provides the opportunity for high school students to jump-start their college education by enrolling in college-level courses, while still attending high school. Juniors and seniors at Morrison High School may participate in career and technical education training, held at the Whiteside Area Career Center in Sterling, IL.
The Morrison teaching staff is composed of experienced and well-educated teachers, with nearly 75% having a master’s degree and above. The learning environment resonates high expectations, a belief system of learning for all students, and a classroom environment that makes it happen. The result of this is that our students excel in a variety of areas. Here is a list of just some of the accomplishments and awards over the past few years of our students and the District.
- Academic Awards: Earned Academic Achievement Awards, Academic Improvement Award, Bright Star Awards, Bronze Award from Us News, identified by Forbes as one of the Districts in Illinois where you get the best bang for your buck,
- Financial Awards: Annually received Financial Recognition Plus the Bright Star and Forbes awards were a combination of academic achievement and low cost per student,
- State Championships were won in Pons, Football, softball, and wrestling, with many other high ranking finishes,
- Student Scholarship dollars continue to be high, over a millions dollars annually. This indicates the quality of our students and the number who apply to attend post-secondary educational institutions.
- Students have been honored at the State-level for instrumental and vocal performances,
- Student art work has been selected in juried art shows,
- Highest ACT scores of High Schools in the region.